Ankylosing spondylitis, is a pain in the back, which needs to be taken care in time or it can cause huge tantrums in life. Its pain does restrict the physical movements as you don’t feel like moving. The best defense against it is to hold its reigns in our hands and alter some diets, do exercises and you have to remain a little alert. Mostly the doctors recommend certain diets that help in reducing your swelling and pain.
Don’t worry; you can have certain home remedies, which keeps this infection at bay. You can remove the pain and rigidness yourself. Having a physiotherapist by your side will be better, as he/she can make you do certain exercises and recommend a diet plan. He/she can support you in your daily chores. Follow his/her instructions precisely and you are going to come out of Ankylosing spondylitis with flying colors. He/she can train you in exercising in water (hydrotherapy), deep breathing and posture training, making your swelling and pains disappear into thin air.
- Hot& Cold Therapy:-
- Your physical therapist might make you opt for hot or cold therapy, where ever you feel most comfortable. You can loosen your rigid muscles with hot therapy and thus can feel relaxed from the joint stiffness. You can also use the cold pack on burning areas to help erase swelling. Have a warm bath before you proceed withtaking these therapies. It will help in your movements.
- The Diet should be Healthy:-
- Just eat healthy food and keeping an eye on your postures can help you in controlling your weight. When you gain extra weight means that you are putting extra pressure on your joints and spine. No diet is recommended for AS, but foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids, like the fish, tuna, salmon, tuna have them in abundance, and have anti-inflammatory features can help in eradicating AS.
- Good Postures:-
- If you curl up it might ease your pain, though temporarily, but will make you feel relaxed. But this position has a risk that your spine -tiny, liked bones could come to bent-forward position. Ask your colleague, friend and your spouse keep reminding you to sit in a straight position. If you work on a computer, place it in a position, which makes you sit upright.
- Breaks should be Frequent:-
- If you have a sitting job, just don’t sit on your chair as it can deteriorate your symptoms. Don’t keep sitting for long, get up at least after every hour and walk around or stretch. These moves can lower your pain and swelling. If there is a problem, ask your doctor to write it to your boss, that you are sick and have to get up from your seat and walk around for some time.
- Exercise Regularly:-
- Ankylosingspondilitis does get your pain and rigidness, but gettinglethargic is not an answer. It will further deteriorate your condition. Usual exercise is necessary for your neck, chest, back and legs, to keep them from moving and flexible style. Your symptoms will definitely lessen after you have done some physical movement. Thus, elevating your range of motion, more flexibility, better sleep, better posture, reduction in pain and rigidness.
- Massage Therapy:-
- Massage therapy can reduce pain, flexibility and stiffness, may be temporary, but it boosts the confidence to exercise. But massage therapy does not bring relief to everybody. Some people view it in a disgraceful way, if not done with utter devotion it can worsen the symptoms. So proceed with caution.
- Stretch your Chest Muscles:-
- The mobility of ribs is limited, so it can bring in the stiffness and irritation in the chest region and upper back. You can awaken these muscles by doing deep breathing and thus can clean your lungs too. Thus, all the muscles get stretched, with your back against the wall, pull up your arms and stretch them as far as you can. Hold them up for 15 seconds and then lower them down. This easy stretch can help ease the rigidness and pain from your ribs & spine.
- Eat fresh Water Fish:-
- Include cold water fish in your diet plans, the fish like salmon, tuna, cod etc have lots of omega-3 fatty acids that help in the reduction of inflammation from your body. It has been researched that people who ate these acids more had less chances of acquiring this disease. Some oils, like cod liver oil are also beneficial to the stiffness and pain of the muscles.
- Drink lots of Fluids:-
- Drinking at least 8 to 10 glasses is mandatory for all, to keep in good shape and avoid dehydration. You can have alcoholic drinks, but within limits 2 for males and 1 for females per day. You can opt for other fluids like buttermilk, fruit juices and other healthy drinks that are available in the market. But don’t go for soft drinks, these are very bad for your health.
- It’s an old Indian therapy that helps in eradicating many diseases. It might look a little harsh in the beginning, but once you get used to it, you will love like the way you love your music. It will certainly make you lose your swelling and pain. It teaches you discipline and makes you passionate. Once you get hooked on to yoga, no disease will come and dare to strike you. It helps eradicate all types of bacteria, fungus, virus and toxins and keeps them at bay. Begin by doing gentle asanas like ‘suryanamaskar’, gradually keep increasing their duration and move on to other asanas.
These are some exercises, which can eradicate the pain that have come to you via Ankylosing spondylitis, if followed precisely these can help in reducing the pain. Still then if you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can choose your way and visit a qualified doctor who can reduce your swelling and pain. He can guide you in a better way on how to make this swelling and pain vanish.
Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website.